How to Become a Licensed Flooring Contractor

Educational Requirements for How to Become a Licensed Flooring Contractor

Flooring Contractors LicenseAre you wondering how to become a licensed flooring contractor? Before you can apply for your licensure, it would be wise to take care of the educational requirements first. Even though this occupation does not require a formal degree, you should consider getting an associate degree in business management, since independent contractors are practically small business operators. An associate degree program would teach students the main concepts of operating a business, including the management of human resource, information and finances. In addition to getting a degree, you can also opt for some on-the-job training. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, carpet and flooring installers typically do not have any formal training. It is not even required by most employers in this field that workers come in with a lot of professional experience. Rather, these workers are expected to learn all the skills they need on the job. They start out as helpers and go on to become more experienced workers. With the passage of time, the complexity of the work they get assigned increases. In case of a large employer, you might even get the opportunity to complete a sponsored apprenticeship program.

How to Become a Flooring Contractor

To get licensed as a flooring contractor, you will need to meet certain requirements. These requirements would vary according to state. For the purpose of this article, the state of California and its particular laws are discussed below:

Following are the steps you need to follow to obtain a Flooring Contractors License:

  1. Acquire 4 years of experience in the trade for which you plan to get the license for. Working as a contractor, journeyman, foreman or a supervisor would help you meet the experience criteria.
  2. After this, you will have to take two exams: the California Law and Business Exam and the Flooring & Floor Covering C-15 exam.
  3. To take this exam, you will first need to apply through the Application for Original Contractor’s License and pay the application processing fee of $250. An addition $150 in fees would have to be paid after both exams have been successfully passed.
  4. Once you receive the notification for the approval of your application, you will need to submit fingerprints for a background check.
  5. You will also be required to meet additional financial requirements: $2,500 in working capital for flooring projects; contractor surety bonds of $7,500 and $12,500. Along with these financial concerns, you will also be required to provide workers compensation insurance if you plan on hiring other individuals.

Becoming an Independent Carpet and Flooring Contractor

Once you have gathered the relevant experience and gotten hold of your practicing license, the next step is to become an independent carpet and flooring contractor. In addition to the duties pertaining to the flooring contractor’s job description, you will also be taking care of business and finance matters. Supervising, coordinating, installing and monitoring tasks become an addition to their existing job descriptions.

After you have established yourself as an independent contractor, the next order of business can be developing and expanding your clientele. To keep your business afloat, you will need to invest time and money into building a strong customer base. Marketing techniques such as advertisements, flyers and newspaper ads might help you become more visible to your desired market segment.

Obtaining a flooring contractors license is not a simple or small process. But it is certainly worth your time and money. Once you have established your expertise in the market, you will most likely be a highly sought-after professional.



How to Become a Licensed Asbestos Abatement Contractor

How to Become a Licensed Asbestos Abatement ContractorRegistration for Asbestos Abatement Certification California

How to Become a Licensed Asbestos Abatement Contractor

A C-22 Asbestos Abatement license is issued by the CSLB, only to applicants who are registered with the Department of Industrial Relations’ Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) or have an active application for registration in process with the Division. In case the applicant does not have any proof of being registered with DOSH, CSLB will issue the license on the condition that the contractor submits the said proof within 90 days following the license issuance. In such an instance, the contractor may not begin any asbestos related work until the required proof has been submitted to the CSLB.

For the registration process to be completed, you must provide proof of the following:

  • Certification by the CSLB, unless you are a public or private employer operating on your own premises
  • Health insurance of a trust account of $500 for each employee to take care of the medical examinations and monitoring. This does not apply to contractors who do not have any employees
  • Workers Compensation Insurance coverage
  • An initial Cal/OSHA approved contractor/supervisor class of a total of five days with a one-day refresher each year
  • Relevant worker training consisting of the above Cal/OSHA approved supervisor class along with an annual course in asbestos-removal
  • Proof of compliance with the relevant occupational safety and health standards
  • Written asbestos removal operating procedures and policies
  • List of all the machinery and equipment required to perform such work

In the initial review process, DOSH will analyze the documentation, along with your compliance history and the procedures you have proposed. They might also need you to provide additional explanations or revisions to the procedures if they consider it necessary. Once you pass this initial review, you will be issued a registration certificate, valid for a time period of 1 year, unless revoked.

Training Requirements for Asbestos Abatement Certification

To obtain the Asbestos Abatement Certification, the applicant should have completed the relevant training requirements contained in Section 1529 of Title 8 in the California Code of Regulations. Get the detailed information regarding the required trainings and the class levels it covers from the CSLB website.

Experience Requirements for an Asbestos Abatement Certification California

As with all other general and specialty classifications under CSLB, every applicant for the C-22 classification will also be required to fulfill certain experience requirements. Within the 10 years, immediately prior to the application process, the applicant should have at least 4 years of experience performing asbestos abatement processes as a foreman, journeyman, contractor or a supervising employee. A Certification of Work Experience must be submitted. The criteria for places an applicant can get the relevant experience from, has also been defined by the CSLB. If the applicant does not have experience as specified by the Board, but does have some knowledge and understanding in another setting, he should submit any relevant documentation – it will be considered on a case-to-case basis.

Application for the C-22 Asbestos Abatement Contractors License

Following is a list of items you will need to take care of before you submit the application:

  • All applicants for this license must be at least 18 years of age
  • Show the full business name exactly as it appears on CSLB records
  • Enclose a non-refundable fee of $75 along with your completed application. The CSLB will not process the application if this amount is not made payable to the Registrar of Contractors
  • Your application may be returned if it is insufficient or not complete. You will be required to provide the missing information and resubmit the application to the Bureau within 90 days after the date it was returned to you. Upon failure to do so, your application becomes void and you will have to submit a new application along with the $75 fee
  • Complete the application in black or dark blue ink, with a typewriter, or on the form provided on the CSLB website. Forms completed in pencil will be returned
  • Provide full legal names. If you do not have a middle name, write “none” in place of it
  • Leave no answer space blank
  • The contractor license needs to be active and in good standing before it can be granted. In case it is not, the application will not be accepted
  • You will need to provide the complete street address for both your business and place of residence

When the CSLB receives your application, a notice of acknowledgement will be sent to you explaining how to check the status of the application online or by calling the 24-hour automated phone system at CSLB. The notification will also contain information on how to submit your fingerprints as required. Do not forget to include the Application Fee Number in any correspondence.

The C-22 Examination

As with all CSLB classifications, applicants for the C-22 Asbestos Abatement classification must also pass a trade examination and a law and business exam. The exam can be scheduled as early as 15 days from the acceptance of your license application. A complete study guide and other related information is available from the CSLB online. You can also get information regarding the exam by calling the automated 24-hour phone system at (800) 321-CSLB (2752).

The process to becoming a licensed asbestos abatement contractor may be long, but putting in the effort at the right time would be very beneficial for you in the long run. So take some time and research well into all the things you will need to successfully obtain this license.


How to a Get Low Voltage License

According to the California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications,

     “A communication and low voltage contractor installs, services and maintains all types of communication and low voltage systems which are energy limited and do not exceed 91 volts. These systems include, but are not limited to telephone systems, sound systems, cable television systems, closed-circuit video systems, satellite dish antennas, instrumentation and temperature controls, and low voltage landscape lighting. Low voltage fire alarm systems are specifically not included in this section.”

The C-7 Contractor’s License is required by installers and technicians etc. who are involved in the process of installing, servicing or maintaining all types of low voltage systems. This license does not allow the licensee to work on low voltage fire alarm systems, fire protection equipment, lock and security equipment and solar equipment.

How to Get Low Voltage License?

Low Voltage contractors need a license to practice. For this, they have to follow a certain procedure, pay fees and provide several documents to complete an application and verification process. The licensing requirements vary from state to state.  If you need state-specific details, you can check the National Electrical Contractors Association website that lists in detail requirements for each state.

The following contains requirements for the C7 Low Voltage Contractors License in California.

California Low Voltage Systems License C-7 Requirements

You are advised to gather complete information on all relevant matters before beginning. The process itself can be a little complicated, therefore, being sufficiently prepared for it will be of great help. Have a look at the basic criteria you will need to meet and the kind of experience that you might be given credit for:

  • You must be at least 18 years of age or older
  • You must have at least 4 years experience of performing or supervising low voltage work (personal experience is also accepted by the state now)
  • A person with any kind of first-hand knowledge of your experience, such as the homeowner or certain employer, must be able to verify the experience
  • College degree or trade school credits can be counted as up to 3 years of the needed trade experience
  • Obtain the “Application for Original Contractor’s License” from the Contractor’s State Board office or by calling them. You can also download this application from the CSLB website
  • To get the Low Voltage License, you have to pass the Low Voltage Systems Examination along with the Law and Business Exam

California Low Voltage Systems Contractor Exam C-7 Details

If you are getting licensed for the first time, you will need to take both the law and trade exams, along with the actual contractor’s exam.  The actual contractor’s exam has 100-120 questions, with a time limit of 2-1/2 hours (around 150 minutes). You will require pre-approval from the state to sit for the examination. In addition, bear in mind that you will need at least 70% marks to pass the exam.

Exam Content

The content for a C-7 Low Voltage Contractors License Exam includes a number of topics relating to the various aspects of low voltage equipment, their installation, and maintenance and servicing. You will be exposed to topics such as job design and planning, material selections and estimation, wire/cable installation and termination, component installation, testing, troubleshooting, repairing and safety while installing.

There are several organizations that provide detailed study guides to help applicants prepare for this exam. Even if you are reapplying for a second or third time and have “mastered” the exam content, you’d still be better off preparing for the exam. This is necessary since requirements keep on changing. In addition, low voltage equipment also frequently gets updated.

Preparing for the Exam

The first thing you need to do is get your hands on the right kind of study materials. Ideally, you should cover major topics such as basic electrical theory, plan and circuit symbols, electrical materials, low voltage relay circuit, first aid, satellite antenna systems, optic fiber and computer networking processes. You might also want to cover some aspects of the health and safety orders that would be relevant to the low voltage exam and subsequent practice in the field.

California Low Voltage Systems Contractors C-7 Fees

To apply for a license, a certain amount of money needs to be paid for processing fees and application charges. The State of California has an initial application fee of $330 for new applicants. The fee amount is the same for contractors who are reapplying for licensure. There is an additional fee ($200) for a two-year license card. Following the approval of your application by the Contractors State License Board, you will be notified regarding your test date and further test-related details. In addition to these, further financial requirements need you to have at least $2,500 in working capital (this can be in cash form or equipment that will need to be verified). Along with these requirements, applicants are also required to file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $15,000.

Receiving the C-7 Low Voltage Contractor’s License Certificate

Once you have successfully passed the examination, you will receive a wall certificate and a pocket license, certifying that you are a licensed C-7 contractor.

Further Contact Details

If you have any other queries regarding the license, its requirements, exam, fee structure or application process, following is the address to get in touch with the California State Licensing Board.

California State Licensing Board

9821 Business Park Drive

Sacramento, CA, 95826-0026

You can also get in touch with them on their website:


Note: All relevant information and guidelines are provided in great detail on the website. You will find Application for Original Contractor License in PDF – this will guide you through the application process.

How to Become A C10 Electrical Licensed Contractor

What is an Electrical Contractor?

According to the California Code of Regulations, Title 16, Division 8, Article 3. Classifications, a C10 Electrical Licensed Contractor “places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.”

How Can You Get C10 Electrical Contractor License in California

Why do you need a C10 Electrical Contractor License in California?

If you want to work as an electrical contractor in California on any project that is valued at $500 or more, you will be required to obtain a C-10 electrical contractor license from the California Contractors State License Board (CSLB). If you contract without a license, you can be held legally answerable for it and might even end up with a potential sentence of six months in jail.

How Can You Get C10 Electrical Contractor License in California?

To get a C10 Electrical Contractor License in California, there are certain steps you need to follow to gather all the required documents and get your C-10 California Electrical Exam prep in line. Have a look:

  • You must have at least four years of on-the job experience at a journeyman level or higher. In addition, you must also pass two tests – a law and business test and an electrical contractor test. Only on successful completion of these two examinations can you be issued a license.
  • You must complete a California electrical apprenticeship program. These programs combine classroom instruction with hands-on training and take at least four years to complete. In addition, you must also take and pass a certification exam to get your Certificate of Completion of Apprenticeship. You will need to include this Certificate in your C10 license application.
  • You will need to get employed as an electrical journeyman and complete one year of work in this position. Till this step, if you have completed an apprenticeship program, you will be given three years of credit and you will not have to put in the four-year general requirement.
  • Get an online copy of the Original Contractor’s License packet from the official CSLB website. Go through this pack and make yourself familiar with the basics of the licensing procedure.
  • Submit a Certificate of Work Experience from any employer under whom you have previously worked as an electrical journeyman. For applicants who have completed the apprenticeship program, you will only need to provide one year of such experience.
  • Complete the application and give it in for final processing and submission. Make sure you have provided all the supplementary documents and relevant fees and clearly mentioned the indicated address. When and if your application gets approved, you will receive a Notice to Appear for Examination and a request for your fingerprints. Guidelines will be provided on how to arrange your fingers to send an electronic copy of your prints to CSLB from your local Live Scan facility. The receipt you get from here will have to be submitted to the CSLB. Make sure you submit this receipt no later than 90 days after receiving your fingerprints request.
  • Once you have followed the above, you will be allowed to sit for the two required exams at the date and time you are provided with in your exam notice. In case of a failure to appear for the exam at the given date and time, you may be allowed to reschedule for a certain fee. Your test results will be available to you before you leave the testing site. Once you have completed the exam, you will be given instructions to submit a surety bond along with a proof of workers’ compensation insurance and a licensing fee.
  • Get a surety bond in the amount of $15,000 and submit the original bond to the CSLB within 90 days of the bond’s effective date. After this, get workers’ compensation insurance from any licensed insurance agency in California. Submit a copy of this to the CSLB.
    After you have completed the above and submitted your licensing fee to the CSLB, you will be issued a license. In addition, you will also get a wall certificate and a permanent wallet-size pocket license. You will be required to display the wall certificate in your office at all times.

How to Get a HVAC Contractors License

Hvac Study GuideHow to Get HVAC Contractors License: A heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) license is required by individuals who install, repair or maintain heating and cooling systems in residential or commercial constructions. This is especially true of projects that exceed $500. It will also be a requirement for people who sell service contracts to new and existing clients.

Education Requirements for Obtaining your HVAC License (C-20)

There are several factors you will need to ensure to get the HVAC contractors license Proper educational requirements will have to be fulfilled. A prospective HVAC technician must successfully finish high school or receive a GED. During this time, they should ideally take classes in industrial arts, math, electronics, physics and mechanical drawing. After completing school, the candidate may join an accredited HVAC training program. These training programs offer a curriculum based on studying the principles of HVAC installation and repair along with subjects such as blueprint reading, equipment design and temperature control. These programs may take six months to two years to complete.


The apprenticeship program may last anywhere from 3-5 years. Formal programs might allow candidates to combine their theoretical and practical learning practices. During an apprenticeship program, the prospective HVAC technician would shadow a licensed HVAC technician and simultaneously receive classroom training as well. These programs are offered by professional unions.

License Examination

Once you are finished with your apprenticeship program, the next step would be taking the actual HVAC License Exam. These exams test a prospective HVAC technician’s ability to exhibit a satisfactory knowledge of the various aspects of HVAC installation and repair. In addition to that, some exams might also test the applicant’s knowledge of electrical codes. Bear in mind that HVAC technicians who intend to work with refrigerants are also required to acquire an additional certification. For this, they must pass a second written examination that focuses on the relevant subject matter Hvac Study Guide can be helpful for such exams.

The following pointers must be kept in mind before applying for your exams:

  • The eligibility requirements will vary according to the classification and the state you are giving the exam in
  • You will be required to pay an application fee
  • You will be required to sit for two exams: business and law and trade
  • Before you sit for the exams, the board must approve your application
  • You will need a pre-approval from the state to sit for the exam
  • You will be required to have at least 4 years of experience to qualify for the exam – experience at the journeyman level, foreman or supervisor level, contractor level or as an owner/builder will be taken into consideration
  • All experience must be verifiable
  • All applicants must have a working capital of at least $2,500
  • All applicants must file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $10,000
  • The exam has nearly 100 questions and a maximum time of around 2-2.5 hours
  • You will need at least 72% marks on the exam to pass it

(Note: Some of these requirements are specific to the State of California – for your state specific requirements, please check the relevant websites.)

What Topics to Prepare For the Exam?

There are numerous study guides available online and otherwise to help you prepare for the exams. These would include text book materials on the areas you need to cover, along with some practice tests. Whether or not you are purchasing a study guide, you should ideally have a good grasp on the following topics:

  • HVAC System Evacuation & Design
  • Duct System Design
  • Installation
  • Duct System Fabrication
  • Air Distribution and Duct Systems
  • Service, Maintenance and Repair
  • System Checks
  • Safety
  • Personal Protective Equipment
  • Documentation of Hazardous Materials
  • System Installation and Start Up
  • Electrical, Plumbing & Refrigeration Components
  • Air Filtration Installation
  • Duct Repair and Sealing
  • Installation and Replacement of Thermostats
  • New Installation and Routine Maintenance of AC & Heating Systems
  • Heat Pump Installation

This is a general overview of the subject areas you might be questioned on. Be sure to check the detailed topics covered, as guided by the official State Boards.