California Contractor’s License Exam Information

As per the law, anyone in California who contracts to conduct work on a project that is valued at $500 or more, including labor and material, must hold a current, valid license from the Contractors State License Board (CSLB). The CSLB provides licensure in contractor classifications, including general contractors, swimming pool contractors, painters, electricians, plumbers, landscapers and many others. Depending on what sort of projects you want to oversee, you could go for a general or a specialty contractor’s license. *A general building contractor, for instance, would oversee projects and coordinate with specific subcontractors. Specialty or subcontractors are usually hired to perform a particular task.

Prerequisites for the CA Contractor’s Exam

Before you can appear for the California State Contractors License Exam, there are a few requirements that you will need to take care of. First, you have to be at least 18 years of age and have at least four years of construction experience, within the last 10 years. (You could also appear for this exam if you have two years of work experience with a four-year college degree)

For most people, passing the California State Contractors License Exam is the hardest step in the process to becoming a contractor in this state. It has prevented quite a few construction professionals from taking a step ahead in their careers. At the Peerless Institute, aspiring contractors in California can get the best preparation materials, in terms of both study content and the amount of practice. CSLB To find out more information on licensure, go to California’s Contractors State Licensing Board.

Part I – Contractors License Law

The Peerless Institute Contractors License Law & Business products (book or CD) consist of easy to understand text with questions and multiple choice answers covering all portions of the State Contractors Exam.

Part II – Trade Classification

Peerless trade books contain text and hundreds of questions and multiple choice answers on the various areas of your trade that the State includes in the exam. The products available for the trade classifications include:

General Engineering (A) Heating, Ventilating & A/C (C-20)
General Building (B) Demolition (C-21)
Framing & Rough Carpentry (C-5) Landscaping (C-27)
Cabinet, Millwork & Finished Carpentry (C-6) Masonry (C-29)
Low Voltage (C-7) Painting & Decorating (C-33)
Concrete (C-8) Plumbing (C-36)
Drywall (C-9) Roofing (C-39)
Electrical (C-10) Structural Steel (C-51)
Fencing (C-13) Swimming Pool (C-53)
Earthwork & Paving (C-12) Ceramic Tile (C-54)
Flooring & Floor Covering (C-15) Hazardous Substances Removal Certification (HAZ)
Fire Protection Engineering (C-16) Asbestos Abatement Certification (ASB)
Glazing (C-17)