How to Become a Licensed Asbestos Abatement Contractor
A C-22 Asbestos Abatement license is issued by the CSLB, only to applicants who are registered with the Department of Industrial Relations’ Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) or have an active application for registration in process with the Division. In case the applicant does not have any proof of being registered with DOSH, CSLB will issue the license on the condition that the contractor submits the said proof within 90 days following the license issuance. In such an instance, the contractor may not begin any asbestos related work until the required proof has been submitted to the CSLB.
For the registration process to be completed, you must provide proof of the following:
- Certification by the CSLB, unless you are a public or private employer operating on your own premises
- Health insurance of a trust account of $500 for each employee to take care of the medical examinations and monitoring. This does not apply to contractors who do not have any employees
- Workers Compensation Insurance coverage
- An initial Cal/OSHA approved contractor/supervisor class of a total of five days with a one-day refresher each year
- Relevant worker training consisting of the above Cal/OSHA approved supervisor class along with an annual course in asbestos-removal
- Proof of compliance with the relevant occupational safety and health standards
- Written asbestos removal operating procedures and policies
- List of all the machinery and equipment required to perform such work
In the initial review process, DOSH will analyze the documentation, along with your compliance history and the procedures you have proposed. They might also need you to provide additional explanations or revisions to the procedures if they consider it necessary. Once you pass this initial review, you will be issued a registration certificate, valid for a time period of 1 year, unless revoked.
Training Requirements for Asbestos Abatement Certification
To obtain the Asbestos Abatement Certification, the applicant should have completed the relevant training requirements contained in Section 1529 of Title 8 in the California Code of Regulations. Get the detailed information regarding the required trainings and the class levels it covers from the CSLB website.
Experience Requirements for an Asbestos Abatement Certification California
As with all other general and specialty classifications under CSLB, every applicant for the C-22 classification will also be required to fulfill certain experience requirements. Within the 10 years, immediately prior to the application process, the applicant should have at least 4 years of experience performing asbestos abatement processes as a foreman, journeyman, contractor or a supervising employee. A Certification of Work Experience must be submitted. The criteria for places an applicant can get the relevant experience from, has also been defined by the CSLB. If the applicant does not have experience as specified by the Board, but does have some knowledge and understanding in another setting, he should submit any relevant documentation – it will be considered on a case-to-case basis.
Application for the C-22 Asbestos Abatement Contractors License
Following is a list of items you will need to take care of before you submit the application:
- All applicants for this license must be at least 18 years of age
- Show the full business name exactly as it appears on CSLB records
- Enclose a non-refundable fee of $75 along with your completed application. The CSLB will not process the application if this amount is not made payable to the Registrar of Contractors
- Your application may be returned if it is insufficient or not complete. You will be required to provide the missing information and resubmit the application to the Bureau within 90 days after the date it was returned to you. Upon failure to do so, your application becomes void and you will have to submit a new application along with the $75 fee
- Complete the application in black or dark blue ink, with a typewriter, or on the form provided on the CSLB website. Forms completed in pencil will be returned
- Provide full legal names. If you do not have a middle name, write “none” in place of it
- Leave no answer space blank
- The contractor license needs to be active and in good standing before it can be granted. In case it is not, the application will not be accepted
- You will need to provide the complete street address for both your business and place of residence
When the CSLB receives your application, a notice of acknowledgement will be sent to you explaining how to check the status of the application online or by calling the 24-hour automated phone system at CSLB. The notification will also contain information on how to submit your fingerprints as required. Do not forget to include the Application Fee Number in any correspondence.
The C-22 Examination
As with all CSLB classifications, applicants for the C-22 Asbestos Abatement classification must also pass a trade examination and a law and business exam. The exam can be scheduled as early as 15 days from the acceptance of your license application. A complete study guide and other related information is available from the CSLB online. You can also get information regarding the exam by calling the automated 24-hour phone system at (800) 321-CSLB (2752).
The process to becoming a licensed asbestos abatement contractor may be long, but putting in the effort at the right time would be very beneficial for you in the long run. So take some time and research well into all the things you will need to successfully obtain this license.